Since 2004 our commitment to the environment has been a founding principal of Hannah's Bretzel. We are the first quick service restaurant in Chicago to do so. That is why we were awarded the Chicago Magazine Green Award.
Sandwiches are not Über if they do not keep our environment healthy, and our communities clean. Its not Über if it's being eaten with a toxic fork, or sitting in plastic wrap. And if it's not Green, we're not hungry.
Our Green Guarantee:
- We designed the first USGBC - LEED (Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design) certified fast casual restaurant in Chicago at 233 N. Michigan Avenue in the Illinois Center concourse (see picture below) and will strive to continue this with future locations.
- We are first to use 100 percent biodegradable catering trays and lids, warm and cold beverage cups and lids, salad containers and lids, side containers and lids, sandwich wrapping paper, utensils, plates, and sauce containers and lids.
- We were the first fast casual chain to eliminate plastic bags from our operation in 2007. Today we use only 100 percent recycled (95 percent post-consumer) shopping bags or reusable cloth bags, particularly for our catering deliveries.
- We recycle all of the glass, paper, cartons and plastic in our store.
- We always recycle old computers, cell phones, light bulbs and batteries-unless it's equipment someone else could use; then we give it away to local nonprofits.
- We use non-toxic cleaning products and the most eco-friendly high-volume cleaning materials as per Chicago Health Code.
- We transport our catering orders and supplies on foot, bicycle or with our low emission vehicles, a Mini Cooper & Honda Element.
- We give priority to vendors with a strong environmental focus.
- We actively participate in our community providing our experience, ideas and learning to anybody who wants to know more about adopting a green business structure or lifestyle.
Sustainability is an ongoing commitment to doing things smarter, more efficiently and simply better for the community we operate in. As such we will continue to innovate, improve and expand our green efforts as we grow. As part of this effort we hope to implement the following environmental measures in the not too distant future:
- Compost all of our food waste
- Use solar power in locations that permit us to do so
- Purchase electric cars for our deliveries
For questions or comments please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org